With more than 20,000 students, Iredell-Statesville Schools ranks among the 20 largest school districts in North Carolina. Our teachers represent a wealth of knowledge, with the average teacher in our district having 15 years of teaching experience. Student performance continues to improve, placing Iredell-Statesville Schools among the top 25% of school districts in the state. In fact, our SAT scores, graduation rate, and writing scores are among the best in North Carolina. As a district committed to quality and a 2008 recipient of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, Iredell-Statesville Schools serves as a model school district not only for other districts in North Carolina, but also across the entire nation. The Department of Education in recognition of Iredell-Statesville Schools’ commitment to innovation and continuous improvement has awarded two significant grants to the district. The first grant is the $5 million “Investing in Innovation” which focuses on helping high-needs students achieve at greater levels. The second one is the $20 million “Race-to-the-Top District” grant which supports the implementation of an innovative blended learning initiative for our traditional middle and high schools that includes the goal of having a one-to-one technology component for students. In addition to traditional school settings, the district provides a wide range of exciting educational opportunities through our choice programs specifically designed for unique student needs.
Iredell County is the perfect blend of urban, suburban, and rural- with an abundance of agricultural resources, as well as sophisticated technical industry. From lakeside to countryside, the county is rich with thriving communities and sleepy little towns.
- Lake Norman boasts more than 520 miles of shoreline
- Less than 2 hours to the Blue Ridge Mountains; 4 hours to the Atlantic Ocean
- Within easy driving distance to: Charlotte (40 mi.); Winston-Salem (40 mi.); Greensboro (60 mi.); Asheville (90 mi.); Raleigh (150 mi.); and Wilmington (250 mi.)
- Nearby spectator sports include Carolina Panthers football, Charlotte Bobcats basketball, Carolina Hurricanes hockey, and numerous minor league baseball teams
- Birthplace of NASCAR, with many race shops located in Iredell County and Lowe's Motor Speedway less than 50 miles southeast of Statesville
- A variety of nearby colleges and universities, including: Mitchell Community College, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Greensboro, Lenoir-Rhyne, Gardner-Webb, Catawba College, Wake Forest, Appalachian State, and more