Inclement Weather Procedures
The safety of our students and staff is our primary concern. Please use your best judgement in applying the following procedures. Always err on the side of safety. Remember employees; you must notify your supervisor if you cannot come to work.
Connect-ED messages for delays and closings will be sent between 5:00 and 5:45 a.m. Information will also be posted on the main page of the I-SS website, the district's social media pages, and local TV and radio stations will be notified by 6:00 a.m. The most reliable place to check on closings is our website: https://www.iss.k12.nc.us and on the district's social media pages, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Other sources are WBTV-3, WSOC-9, NBC-36, WXII-TV12, WAME (92.9 FM, 550 AM) and WSIC (1400 AM).
For Early Colleges and Career & College Promise students: Mitchell Community College class cancellations are determined and announced by Mitchell Community College (not Iredell-Statesville Schools). Therefore, high school students taking college classes via MCC must follow the announcements made by MCC on their website.
- 1. Closed
- 2. Closed with an Optional Teacher Workday
- 3. Closed with an Optional Teacher Workday with Delay
- 4. Delayed by One Hour for Students and Staff
- 5. Delayed by Two Hours for Students and Staff
- 6. Delayed by Three Hours for Students and Staff
- 7. Delayed by One Hour for Students Only
- 8. Delayed by Two Hours for Students Only
- 9. Delayed by Three Hours for Students Only
- 10. Unscheduled Early Dismissal
- 11. Virtual/Remote Student Day; Employee Telework
- 12. Virtual/Remote Student Day
On a day that employees have the option to report for a workday, but pupils are not required to attend school due to inclement weather, employees have the following options:
- Report to work;
- Take accumulated annual (vacation) leave; (half/whole day or hourly increments)
- Take accumulated personal leave, if available (teachers only); (Code 26 - half or whole day, only)
- Take leave without pay;
- Use compensatory leave already accumulated; or (hourly increments only)
- Make up the time missed.
If an employee elects to make up time, it must be a mutually agreed upon time between the employee and the immediate supervisor. For 10-month employees, it must be within the regular 10 month employment.
When the school district is closed to staff and students due to inclement weather, the board will consider options for addressing the missed days, giving the greatest weight to how to best maintain the opportunity and environment for student learning.
Legal References: G.S. 115C-84.2, -302.1
Adopted: January 12, 2015