Bus Driver Requirements
Requirements to Become a Bus Driver for Iredell-Statesville Schools
To become a bus driver for Iredell-Statesville Schools, you must meet the following as required by state law:
- Have a good driving record. No cancellation of driver license in last five years. No more than one conviction in last year.
- Have a valid North Carolina license and a minimum of 6 months driving experience.
- Pass a DOT examination and drug test as required by federal law.
- Pass qualifications as determined by NCDMV and Federal Motor Vehicle Law.
Complete the Bus Driver Training Class offered by Iredell-Statesville Schools and the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV)
***The Bus Driver Training Class consists of three (3) days of classroom training and three (3) days of road training. The classroom training and the road training are NOT consecutive.
Steps to Become a Bus Driver for Iredell-Statesville Schools
1. Successfully complete a 3 day class of written work with NCDMV Specialist School Bus and Traffic Saftey.
2. Once you have passed the classroom work, the following must be completed in order to be scheduled to drive with NCDMV Specialist:
- Obtain authorization from Bus Garage to have a Drug Test. Test results will be returned to the Transportation Department.
- Complete and turn in to Bus Garage a DOT Medical Certification Card (as required by Federal Law) and CDL Permit.
3. Once drug test results, DOT Medical Certification, and CDL Permit are received, the School Bus Garage will then schedule you to drive for three days with NCDMV Specialist.
4. Upon successful completion of behind-the-wheel road training, you will go to DMV and obtain your CDL driver license with the P-S endorsements. You will then go to the Bus Garage and pick up your pocket card.